This HOWTO will show you how to install a 2nd harddrive in your DVD drive bay.
You need a drive caddy that fits into the DVD drive bay and holds everything in place.
I found my caddy on this site : http://www.buy-deals.co.uk/lenovo-g780-2nd-hdd-hard-drive-caddy.htm
It is cheap and they ship i from China. Actually, when I ordered my caddy, some time went by and I had given up on receiving the caddy. I assumed that my money was lost and that I had become victim to a scam site.
But suddenly it came approx. 14 days after ordering.
The contents of the shipment are very nicely wrapped.
The package consists of:
- 1. caddy for SATA capable hdd or ssd
- 1. screwdriver
- several rubber pieces for adjustment and damping purposes
1. REMOVE THE DVD DRIVE
(my finger points at it )
2. EXTRACT THE DVD DRIVE and REMOVE THE HOLDING BRACKET
3. PREPARE THE HARDDRIVE
Use the appropriate rubber dampers and insert them into the holes, where you would normally insert screws.
4. PLACE THE HARDDRIVE INTO THE CADDY
Be aware to check the inside mounting faceplate for the SATA connections and insert the harddisk accordingly.
The rubber dampers should assure a tight fit.
5. CHECK AGAIN THAT THE BRACKET IS MOUNTED CORRECTLY
6. INSERT THE CADDY INTO THE LAPTOP AND FASTEN WITH THE SAME SCREW, WHICH YOU PREVIOUSLY REMOVED.
By the way…… the caddy looks from the outside as if it is a DVD drive. The LED right beside the unusable release button, shines blue when the harddrive is powered and alternates red, when it is working.
Read this HOWTO to get your harddrive mounted correctly in ubuntu and use it e.g. as a seperate /home mount.